Sunday 25 August 2013

Went to mow a meadow

Sharpening your scythe (US President)
Recently we went up into the mountains round Banska Bystrica to do some mowing at my friend's weekend cottage. I took along a scythe and whet stone. Maros brought a motorised string trimmer. It was a classic face-off between traditional and modern mowing methods. I wet the stone and sharpened the blade and for an hour and a half I mowed the grass and brambles and nettles. The end result looked like a bad haircut.
Then Maros came along with the string trimmer and did the whole garden and redid my part so it looked better in about an hour. In this case modern methods won.
However, I have heard of competitions at village fairs between lawn mowers and scythes where that an experienced mower with a scythe beat the lawn mower.
A demonstration of how to mow
The whet stone in its case

No comments:

Post a Comment