Tuesday 24 June 2014

First half of Sweden

Today we travelled nearly 900 km from Markaryd to Sundsvall.

We woke to a beautiful morning and had a nice breakfast and a bit of exercise. I walked round the lake till I found a white boat with oars waiting for me. If I had taken it and rowed into the centre of the lake, an arm would have appeared with a sword and I would have become the Queen of Thule. Instead I chose another fate and returned to the caravan. Maros and Katka returned on the bikes from shopping in town too.

We set off around 11am and had a great lunch at a petrol station near the ruins of Brahahus overlooking lake Vanern. We passed planes at the roadside near the Saab factory where they made them in Linkoping. Then we drove on through Stockholm in the pouring rain and for the first time hit heavy traffic. It rained for the next couple of hours and we all got disheartened and wondered why we hadn't gone to Egypt instead. Then the blue skies returned and more lakes and at 9.30 I put on my sunglasses to stop the setting sun from getting in my eyes.

After tea we drove on another 170 km to an oil refinery by the sea and beyond it a crowded campsite. We arrived just before midnight. We had a beer or two and some cake and then at 1am saw the sunrise over another factory. We then had to wander into the woods as you needed a card to open the toilets which we didn't have. We can't quite work out why so many people are staying here.

We decided we will go on to Nordkapp. Next stop the Artic circle!

No comments:

Post a Comment