Wednesday 28 June 2017

She'll be coming round the mountain

Today I left Orisson at 7.45 and walked in thick cloud up the mountain, past sheep and Pyrenees ponies. There were plenty of other pilgrims in front of me and behind.  At 9.30 I had a cup of tea at a little stand and watched the witches brew of cloud in the valley. Then off into Spain and down the mountain to Roncesvalles and the collegiale run by Dutch volunteers for pilgrims. I took a gentler but longer route down and walked alone in the last section. There were a few vultures circling lower and lower overhead.

Now I have my bed organised and dinner at 7pm. Today I walked 17.1 km in 5.5 hours carrying a 9kg pack with water. No serious aches and no blisters. I feel tired but good and like I need to learn how to ask, 'where is the nearest beer?' in Spanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment