Monday 25 July 2022

A Venetian Sunday D3

I knew it would be hot, hot hot so I left the hotel very early and walked over the Accademia bridge and enjoyed the beautiful views of the grand canal. Then I walked to the northern edge and the vaparetto stop Fondamente nova.
 On the way I had a continental breakfast and a second coffee in a pizza place that was preparing to open. 
I took the vaparretto to Burano and changed to Torcello. The earliest church is there, the mysterious basilica with its glowing golden frescos: a hot, flaming vision of hell that reminded me of the last few days. A wonderful mosaic floor, cool interiors, pools, lizards and a hot dusty road to and from the vaporetto stop. 
The heat was now unbelievable. In the direct sunlight I felt like I was toiling under the pitiless eye of sauron, even the boat rides were hot and airless. A boy was crying. Old people looked on the point of collapse. I took 4 vaporettos to get to Accademia and then fell exhasted into a seat beside the canal at a nice restaurant by my hotel.
The waiter brought me a large bottle of water and I gulped nearly the whole bottle down before the starter arrived.  The seafood starter was lovely with a glass of wine, but the next course of fish was huge and in the hot weather I could hardly eat much of it. I was looking forward to a siesta in my room. 

When I got there, it now seemed a wonderful room. The view of the canal delightful, the cool air from the aircon miraculous and the crisp sheets inviting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment