Saturday 7 July 2018

Day 13: SdC to A Coruna and Ferrol

The others got up before 4 to get their taxi to the airport. I slept on till 8. I went to the Pilgrim's office to pick up another credential for the Camino Ingles and went for the usual breakfast at the cafe on the end of Charitas street. Then I set off to the train station helped by a kind young student doctor from Venezuala called Marianna. I went on the fast train to the huge hot bright noisy city of A Coruna. It seemed to be full of cars and though I had 2.5 hours to look around I didn't manage to get to the old town. The park was nice and cool though, with lots of benches with people having picnics or playing cards. I went for a 6 eur lunch menu with jamon. I imagined a plate of ham and tomatoes with some bread. I got two fried eggs, bacon and interesting chipped potatoes just on the cusp of being crisps.
The journey on the slow train to Ferrol had nice views of the coast and estuary. I wondered how the others were getting on in Madrid.
I wandered around a bit until I found my hotel - a cheap room with a tiny bath at Hotel Almendra. Proper towels, shampoo sachet, soap, sheets - luxury! There were no other pilgrims on my train though - very different from starting in St John or Sarria.

No comments:

Post a Comment